Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An agnostist's vision


"God is there? Yes, He is. No, He is not". 

When multiple perceptions can sneak up even for a concrete information, it is apparent that people can easily be mislead to pandemonium based on some canard. There are certain things that are beyond man's reach and intellectual ability. Are you wondering what I am up to? Let me throw it straight. "Who created us? What is this super power that controls these known and unknown cosmoses? Do you have religious beliefs?". I am not mouthing anything new. This seems to be the unanswered question since mankind evolved. 

Raised from a pious Brahmin family, I was totally blind for the first 20 years of my life - with great reverence for deities and zeal for Brahminism. I do not know when exactly I moved out of this baseless faith of mine. But this drastic change, I guess, should have come when I started reading 'Angels and Demons' two years back, where Dan Brown had brilliantly described the conflict between Science and Religion. Science requires solid evidence for any claim; on the other hand, religion depends on the magic word - faith. This conflict has been in existence for ages - a fight that never appears to cease. I realized that I am a sort of person who tends to accept those that science approves - in other words, that which seems rational. 

In this context, I should not fail to mention the movie named "Zeitgeist". The first section of the movie explores the origin of God according to various religions. According to the film, most of the Gods like Krishna, Jesus etc., are based on the Egyptian counterpart named 'Horus'. There were other information on how these Supreme beings have many attributes in common - DOB as December 25th, adored by 3 kings, 12 disciples, burial for 3 days, resurrection etc. All these similar traits of Gods seem to have been derived from Astrology. 

The basic principle of religion, it is said, is to enforce moral fear for the good. But the supreme power of religions seem to fuel the conflicts between people and nations than to appease them. Religion & politics - the most deadly combo, constantly stir camouflaged 'holy' wars thereby causing partitions of people. Though their funda is peace, the characteristics of religions are unique - tolerant Hindus, preaching Christians, jihadi Muslims etc. ensuing provocations. Take Indo-Pak split for instance - the differences in religion and its effectuated attributes are the major reason for the division. It is sad that many of us have never met a Pakisthani in our lives, yet we hate our neighbour.

A recent survey has divulged the effect of religion in globalization. Wonder how? Religion has the power to impact a society on its culture, customs, food, ethics, art, literature and last but not the least its politics. Hence, the adaptability of the societies to a mixed culture open by liberalisation depends to a greater extent on religion. That is one of the major reasons why 'some' Muslim countries (exc. Malaysia, Indonesia, Dubai etc.) find it difficult to foster adaptability and adoptability thereby embracing western culture. When it comes to literature, many of the literary work in almost all the languages are devotional. I have pondered how a non-believer of God will be able to appreciate the Devarams, Thiruvasagams & Tiruvaimozhis. 

Philosophies apart, let us think practically. Honestly, how many of us become mindful when sighting girls of other religion (even other caste)? Atleast I do when I look at some beautiful Muslim misses. I always see one image flash by my mind - my dad with a Thiruppatchi aruva. I can never see her as yet another soul in this world who can be a perfect match for me. :-)   

After all these claims, I am sure you would have presumed me as an 'Atheist'. But I am not. I suggest you call me an 'Agnostic' or 'Autotheist' (Anbe Sivam concept). I am still one among the elite group searching for a convincing answer. :)

Note: This is my personal opinion. If somebody is offended by this, please pardon me.

10 comments:

  1. You get affected by books and movies? Great. Your father might or might not hit you with his thirupaachi aruvaal but the girl's father will definitely do with his kasaapu kathi. Again religionism??????? oh its in the blood of the Indians. What can I do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaadhalukaga naan kasappu kathila kooda saaga thayar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This ideology prevails with most of the modern-urban-upbringing youth of these days which includes me too. It is sad that many people couldn't understand the real message conveyed by these religions. What started off with a set of moral rules and paths to lead a better life have become the basis for the battle ground of the modern era.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Praveen,

    Well said. That is the crux which I wanted to put forward. The power of religion together with politics is tearing the nation into pieces. The people are estranged on basis of religion.

    I think we, the present generation, can change this situation by disseminating the similarity in values of various religions and not preaching their differences (which i think is the cause for all hatred among the religious groups).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muslim missa sight adikirathu saami bootham.. theism.. gnostism .. agnostism.. appidinnellam saaku solriya?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Siva, Correct-a kandupidichiteenga? ;)

    Truly, I have felt that many times, whenever I ogle at a good looking muslimah. Enna panrathu !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nasreen.. Surprising to see your comment. Truly, what you have said makes pure sense ! Conclusion can't be derived easily (rather at all) !

    The answer to your question, in fact, will surely take a man's lifetime without a definitive solution. I have often deliberated why should anyone spend his quality time fighting the system or analyzing the reason for his/her mere existence? Still seeking an answer for all these questions !

    P.S: Naan muslim ponnu nu pothuvaathan sonnen.. Nee tension aayidathe ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I'd appreciate if you can share your comments/suggestions on improving my blogs.